Pin It
chipotle-burrito-recipe

As-Close-As-You-Can-Get-To-Chipotle Burritos

This recipe is going to rock your socks off.  It’s based on a recipe for Barbacoa Beef by my friend Abby, and I’m going to claim it’s the ultimate Chipotle copycat recipe.  Super easy to make for a crowd, and works great as leftovers, too.

Try it with Guerrero’s (made by Mission Foods) super-sized tortillas, just like the actual Chipotle restaurant uses!

Better-Than-Chipotle Burritos

1 London Broil roast (1.5-2 lbs)
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves
2 T whole peppercorns
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce – note: one peppernot a whole can!
2 tsp chili powder, more or less to taste
2 packages (8 ct) Mission burrito-size tortillas
Cilantro-Lime white rice, see recipe below
black beans, see recipe below
Additional toppings as desired, such as salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese

For the Cilantro-Lime White Rice:

1 cup white rice
2-3 T minced cilantro
1-2 T lime juice
salt

For the black beans:

1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 tsp cumin

Ready?  This is easier than ordering from Chipotle online.

1. Place London Broil in slow cooker, throw chopped onions, garlic cloves, peppercorns, and apple cider vinegar in on top.  Add enough water to cover the roast.  Cook on low for about 6 hours.

2. Remove meat from slow cooker and shred.  It might seem a little dry and tough at this point, but we’re going to fix that.  Remove the onions and peppercorns from slow cooker, reserving the juices.  Blend the tomato sauce with the chipotle pepper and chilil powder until the chipotle pepper is very fine.  Add the meat back to the slow cooker, along with the tomato sauce mixture and enough of the reserved broth to keep it plenty moist.  Cook on low for another hour.

3. When you’re about 20 minutes away from wanting to eat, cook the rice according to the package directions.  Once it’s done cooking, scoop it into a bowl and toss with the cilantro, lime juice, and salt (to taste).  Warm the black beans with the cumin and whatever other spices you may feel like throwing in!l

4. Now that everything is ready, begin assembling your burritos!  Warm tortillas are a must, and I’ve found the best way to warm them is, well, just like the Mission package says – heat them one at a time in a skillet on medium high for 10-15 seconds on one side and 10 seconds on the other.

Did I say these were just like Chipotle’s burritos?  I lied.  These are not just like Chipotle’s burritos.  They are better! Tons more flavor, and I won’t charge you extra for the guacamole.

Comments

1. These sound awesome, I’m certainly going to give them a try. But I’ll be having mine naked – without the tortilla. Sometimes it’s easier to eat lunch at work with a spoon!

2. Jennifer P says:

So here is the real questions…LOL…who has London Broil on sale this week? and what is the target price for London Broil?? Thanks!

3. I had the same question as jennifer. is london broil a cheap meat?

4. I still remember the first time I decided I was going to ‘figure out’ that cilantro lime rice. I made some rice…added some cilantro…added some lime…realized that was IT! WooT!!

If there is a london broil in my freezer (chances are there is) I know just what we are having next week! Thank you for that recipe, dearie!

If you have a recipe for the carnitas (pork), we’d love that one too!

-Laura at TenThingsFarm

5. So this might be a dumb question, but where do I find “1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce?” Is it canned? Or do I buy a fresh pepper and the sauce separately?

• I found it at safeway. Was hard to locate on the shelf but it’s in a small can. I believe it was with the mexican foods.

• Yes, it’s canned, and the peppers and the sauce come together (though I think you can buy sauce separately – it’s yummy stuff!). You can find it at King Soopers and Walmart, too.

6. I have the same question as Michelle. Where do you get the chipolte pepper in adobe sauce? Help please?

7. Yum! We are excited to try this recipe but probably with fajita veggies. Do you think there’s anything special they do to those?

Thanks for sharing Carrie!

• Hmm, I don’t know – my guess is heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet until just smoking and cook until starting to brown!

• They use Oregano in the Fajitas. 1:1 ratio of red onion to Green pepper. Add salt, oregano while stir frying in olive oil on high temp.

8. Sounds wonderful! We choose Mission tortillas all the time, too, and I was very happy that they were on sale recently!

9. Vicky Rasmussen says:

do you only put one chipotle pepper from the can in or the whole can?

10. We don’t have a Chipotle here locally, but we learned to love it when our daughter was in her residency in Dallas. I will definitely have to give your burrito a try. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday and the February giveaway.

11. I love mexican and this looks delicious!

12. What a great recipe. It sounds wonderful and looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Happy TMTT.

Blessings.

13. You just made my hubby’s day. We are definitly going to give this a try! Thanks!

14. YUM…we love Chipoltes!!

Blessings!
    Gail

15. I love Chipotle burritos, so this is a winner! Thanks for linking your post to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

16. Thanks for linking to this again. We seem to go through a Mexican food rotation where we eat it until we get burned out. It’s been a couple of weeks since we’ve had Mexican, and I am itching for it again. Chicken taco filling tonight. These burritos will have to be on the list for next week. I can’t wait!

17. This sounds like the perfect thing to cook for my girlfriends! We have lunch together every so often and I am always searching for a great recipe for them! Will leave plenty of leftovers for supper so I don’t have to cook again that day. I will have to try it with some homemade salsa!

18. I’m going to try it!

We also use london broil to make home made beef jerky. You can buy the beef jerky mix in a box and it has the instructions. We bought “Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning”.

19. We had this last night. So tasty!

What else do you do with the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce?

• I use them in Chicken Tortilla Soup (Cook’s Illustrated recipe). Sometimes I also blend one up and put it in chili. I also use it in this Mexican Skillet Spaghetti we like (Cook’s Illustrated as well!) and I just realized we made that last night and I totally forgot to put in the chipotle peppers! Oh well. :)

I really like the flavor of them… just a different way to add spice and flavor, and IMHO, it’s better tasting than chili powder in a lot of stuff. They do keep for quite awhile in the frig if you can’t figure out what else to put them in. :)

• I freeze excess chipotle peppers in an ice cube tray with some of the adobo sauce. Then they’re ready whenever I want to stick one in a recipe and I don’t have to worry about them going bad! (I’ve also used them when making spicy deviled eggs from a Food Network recipe.)

20. I’m trying this recipe today. This burrito is the only item I order when I go to Chipotle. Looking forward to trying these later today….

Thanks all for the clarifications on the peppers in adobo — I have never used these and wasn’t quite sure how much to use.

21. dorky question but what is that white stuff on top? it looks too runny to be sour cream….

Looks de-lish. Going to be making it tonight with leftover shredded beef. Of course, I will have to “embellish” it since I live 40 minutes from the store and can’t get out: and don’t have cilantro OR chipotle peppers…. :-/

• I think I used Mexican sour cream in that picture! More “chipotle-like”, though of course sour cream is good, too. :)

22. Michelle says:

Made these tonight…wish I would have read the comments closer before I made them….put the whole can of chipotle peppers in the meat sauce and could hardly stand the heat! Other than that, they were fantastic, I will totally make them again (w/ one chipotle pepper :) Yummy!

• Carrie Isaac says:

LOL – I am editing the recipe RIGHT NOW to super-duper clarify what one chipotle pepper means. :)

23. Very Good Recipe actually it was excellent!! Wife and I really enjoyed burritos we will definitly make again!!! Once again very tasty:)

Thanks Carrie

24. Does this recipe work for chicken as well?

25. It’s a good recipe, though I found that I needed to triple the amount of each spice to get it to taste how I like.

26. How many will this amount of meat feed? Has anyone found a recipe for Chipotle’s chicken?

27. i am using a pork roast and cooking it in a pressure cooker only 40 minutes to cook and it is very tender and moist. can not wait the 6 hours to hungry

28. Lorraine says:

Mix the rest of the can of chipotle peppers sauce and all with some sour cream makes a delicious dip.

29. Chipotlerockz says:

Might wanna use organic meat too.

• Why??? Organic doens’t taste any better than conventional, It costs more and is actually worse for the environment.

• This is grossly incorrect. I work for the USDA and I won’t eat heavily farmed beef. “organic” meat usually refers to cows that are grass fed. Huge production beef farms feed their cows corn, because it’s cheap, they live horrible diseased lives and the difference in quality of beef is extreme. The united states is one of the only countries that has such a large beef problem, other countries treat their animals with love. Grass fed beef is enormously better than mass produced. Hands down.

30. What is the white sause u have on top?

31. which brand of rice did you use? I know it is white rice but the brand and from where to get it. Thanks

32. I have a very similar recipe that I’ve been making for years. I throw it in the crockpot at night and shred it in the morning. I usually do 8-10 lbs at a time and freeze it in 8 oz packages (enough for 4 med size burritos). We skip the rice and just serve it with chopped tomato, green onion, lettuce and LOTS of cilantro on a tortilla.

I use one chipotle pepper per lb of meat for a nice kick then freeze leftover peppers and adobe sauce to use in chipotle mayo for fish tacos.

33. looks yummy, gonna try this week ;-) You need a print friendly button though to make it easier to print !

34. How many does this serve?

• Depends on how big your appetite is. :) (I’m quite serious, I have no idea how much it serves, LOL! We tend to eat a lot more than others so I don’t even want to guess how many servings.)

35. I have this in the crockpot now. I was so excited to try this because I normally cook with Chicken so I have been trying to venture out. I have never cooked with London Broil before but now that I am looking at the comments, someone suggested 1.99 a lb is a fair price :/ :/ I bought it at Winn Dixe for $13.09 for a 2.5 lbs and it was buy one get one free, so I got a total of about 5 lbs(maybe a little less) for $13.09.. I thought that was a great deal but I guess not… I am still REALLY new at trying to coupon and get good deals

O well, already bought… hopefully it tastes great :) I did it a little different and added the tomato sauce all in at the same time so we will see

• We used to see it frequently in Colorado for $1.99/lb, but in the past year, $2.99/lb is as low as it’s gone.

36. We just had this tonight! Yum!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

37. What is the measurement for the lime juice? It states “1-2 lime juice” It would seem that the juice from 1-2 lime for 1 cup of rice would be too much.

38. Hi Carrie, another quick question…Did you start with your london broil thawed or frozen in the slow cooker?

39. Great! i’m from Norway, so its going to be insane getting some of those ingredients haha

40. Trying this tonight… now all I am doing is playing the waiting game. Been dying to try this forever now but have never had any luck finding chipotle in adobosauce, nor any chipotle either for that matter. Until a couple of days ago when I finally found a Swedish (yeah, living in Sweden makes it difficult to find certain ingredients) online store that sells mexican spices, sauces and so on and so forth. Unfortunately the masa harina was out of stock :(

Thanks for the recipe. I can’t imagine that this is anything less than tasty or delicious. Just tasting the adobo sauce was awesome.