Pin It
coupon-use

Are You Still Subscribing to the Newspaper for the Coupons?

Jamie emailed with a great discussion topic:

I stopped getting the paper a while ago. Do you find that it is still worth it to get it for the coupons? I had been collecting the free mail outs but it doesn’t seem like the same coupons are in there and lately I haven’t even seen them like I used to. What have you found? Also, do you tend to get multiple copies of the same paper?

I’ve written before about how my grocery shopping habits have changed so that I’m not using as many coupons as I used to, but I think I may have only mentioned in passing that since we moved last year and have been busy renovating, I haven’t even started up a subscription to the newspaper at our new house! :/  I’m finding myself using ecoupons and shopping at Sam’s Club more and right now my biggest strategy for saving is cooking from scratch.  I totally know I could save more if I used newspaper coupons, but I can’t do everything and that’s one of the things I stopped because I wasn’t enjoying it as much as I used to.   There are other things that I can do to make the most of my grocery money that I actually enjoy.

I definitely think newspaper coupons are still a huge source of savings, and so I will continue doing coupon matchups with them, but I have the feeling that I’m not the only one whose coupon habits have changed, whether due to decreasing coupon availability or decreasing time to clip them or whatever!

What about the rest of you?  How has your coupon use changed (to use fewer or more coupons!), and what has been the driving factor?  Click here to comment.

Comments

1. Brenna says:

I still get 3 papers and swear by it. I don’t have a smart phone so no coupons there and I don’t print coupons either. It’s the only way I could afford what we have in out stockpile and freezer!

2. Sheryl says:

I could never get the hang of coordinating coupons with sales. I can keep my grocery bill down pretty well by avoiding packaged food, menu planning around what’s on sale that week, and cooking from scratch. This week I bought packaged crackers and cereal b/c of the sale at Albersons, but In not sure how much I saved since I normally avoid that stuff.

3. Heather V says:

Yep, I just canceled my newspaper subscription (2 copies). I had a great deal, about 50 cents per paper, but I’m not sure I was clipping $100 worth of coupons in a year. I’m relying on Sam’s, sales, and printed coupons now, too!

4. Sarah H. says:

I have felt like I have been using fewer and fewer coupons from the newspaper inserts over the past couple of years, so I didn’t feel like I was getting our money’s worth from our newspaper subscription. When our Denver Post subscription ran out a few months ago, we did not renew it. We still wanted to read the paper, but were more interested in the local news. So, we got a subscription to the Gazette instead. We are still paying about the same amount for the paper, but now we are getting the local news we want. I save the inserts, and clip the coupons that I will use, but I don’t get the paper just for the coupons any more.

5. I’ve been thinking of not renewing my Denver Post subscription lately. I still get coupons, and I still sometimes use them, but there are so many that I just don’t use, ever! They are for products that I never buy mainly. I’ll get it if there’s a subscription deal, but otherwise I’m just going to let it go I think. I use printable coupons at times, print out mobile coupons (since I don’t have a smartphone), buy in bulk at Sam’s, and just shop sale items for fresh food more instead of packaged. Recently most of the good deals I’ve found have come from the Internet, not the paper.

6. Heather says:

As my kids get older and consume more food I find that making what I can from scratch tends to do more to stretch the food dollars than coupons. Plus most of what we buy no longer has coupons. Fruits and veggies and other things tend to keep my kids full longer. We have really changed the way we eat and tend to stay away from food in a box. I also buy from Costco in bulk.

• Yes, I agree that cooking from scratch saves me more than the couponing now because it is so hard to buy enough with coupons to feed a family of seven! A box of granola bars (which used to frequently be free to $0.50 EASILY!) is not even close to filling our tummies anymore.

• Heather says:

I started making granola bars mainly because I needed a way to use the almond leftovers from making almond milk. Plus when the kids make them they get to pick what they put in them. I also sneak in flax-seeds and coconut oil.

7. The Denver Post called me a couple years ago and offered to just deliver the coupons to me on Sundays. I don’t know if they still do this, but I don’t pay for it and I get all the coupons.

• I’d forgotten about this – are you in the Springs? I knew they did it in the Denver area but hadn’t heard about the Post doing it in the Springs. I know the Gazette does or did (though I just looked it up and this signup page doesn’t appear to be working anymore).

8. Sharon says:

Just over a year ago, after I had a second child, I knew there was no way I’d be doing much couponing as I wouldn’t have the time/energy and there was no way I was dragging two kids to the store when one would be taking up the entire cart in her infant seat. Shortly after that, we found out I had a major health issue and that was when I finally called to cancel my subscription to the Gazette. I use printable coupons from time to time, but definitely don’t use coupons like I used to. And, I also don’t spend near as much time at the stores as I used to. My husband typically goes to Walmart each weekend to price match the deals for the week from the other store ads. I am bummed that it doesn’t seem to be so easy to get free toothpaste and hand soap like it used to be by combining sales and coupons.

9. Allison says:

The only reason that I have kept my Gazette subscription for couponing is because they keep letting me renew it for the $5 that I originally paid when it was on promotion. If I had to pay more than that I don’t think it would be worth it to me.

10. Stacy G says:

I had the $5 Gazette subscription deal but when it was time to renew, I was told that I would have to pay the regular rate—so I cancelled. Not worth it. I mostly print coupons now. Have not been motivated to use phone couponing/apps yet. There has to be a balance.

11. Sharon G says:

I, too, let my subscription to the Denver Post expire when I received the outrageous renewal price. For me – I don’t like having to buy so many multiples of a product just to use the coupon. By the time you do the math, it’s hardly worth the time/effort. Eliminating all the prepared and pre-packaged items has also cut down on the items in my recycle bin. Buying fresh and in bulk has proven to be healthier for my family AND my environment. Thanks Carrie for keeping this blog ever-changing for our ever-changing needs.

12. Michelle says:

I hope, one day, to just use digital coupons. But, for now, I use my airline miles to get newspaper subscriptions for free. When the airline miles run out, I’ll probably not pay for the newspaper coupons.

I did find that the Gazette coupons were more useful than the Denver Post ones (I was getting both papers) but the Gazette charged me despite me canceling on time (and wouldn’t refund me though I sent proof) AND my mom paid for a subscription for my birthday and they never fulfilled it despite multiple calls. The Post has been a great experience so I’m sticking with them.

13. Nancy Peterson says:

I was one of those people that actually clipped the coupons each Sunday and filed them but it took a long time to do and then I usually forgot my coupons when shopping! I recently attended a couponing seminar that the Gazette offered here in COS. The woman who was the presenter does save from 50-60% when using this coupon method they mentioned. Because she has a family she orders 5 copies of the Gazette, 4 to just get the coupons (I am going to try just getting an additional 2 for the next month). I guess the website, Gazette.com/coupons, matches up the sale items at all local stores and the coupons that have appeared in the paper for the last weeks. Basically it gives you what the bottom line is if you purchase the item(s) that week – thus, the reason you get multiple papers for multiple coupons. Sale items do have a cycle and so if you take advantage of using your coupons when the items are at rock bottom prices and stock up then you can save a lot. Like I said, I’m going to try it for a month – sounds easy and that it will take a lot less time than I was spending before since someone else does most of the work for me. If you want to schedule this free workshop for a group attend or head up call 801-706-1295 or 303-947-6762.

14. Kathryn says:

Since 4 of our 5 children have grown and moved out on their own I have cut way back on coupon use…possibly because we eat so many less convenience/processed foods. I think we’re eating more healthily [sp?] But, after attending the local Extreme Couponing Workshop, I’ve subscribed to 5 copies of our Sunday paper to try using King Soopers’ site with the coupon inserts to get more things for cheap or free for the Food Pantry at our church. It sounded like something I’d enjoy doing…like Treasure Hunting to help others.

15. Denise says:

We also had the Gazette $5 Wed/Sun subscription, but recently I realized we were billed again after less than 6 months. I called about it and found that 10 holiday issues were also delivered at a charge of $1 each. Although we could call and put the paper on hold for each holiday issue, there was no way to opt out of them entirely. Rather than pay the extra $10 or try to remember every time, we cancelled. I know we used at least $5 in toothpaste coupons, but $15 no longer seemed like a for sure payback.