Note: Safeway has a new “Just for U” program that offers some fantastic deals. Read here for many, many details on how this program works and how to maximize your savings using Just for U.
- Official Safeway Coupon Policy – from Safeway.com
- Safeway Colorado Stores Coupon Policy
- Combining Store and Manufacturer’s Coupons
- Using Coupons on a Buy One, Get One Free Sale
- Store Coupons for $ off Your Purchase
- Safeway’s Ad Cycle
- What Type of Promotions To Expect At Safeway
- Safeway’s Gas Rewards Program
- Bring Your Own Bag Credit
- Safeway Weekly Ad and Coupon Matchups
1. We will redeem coupons only for the specific items included in our customer’s purchase transaction. The redemption value will be as stated on the coupon, unless that value yields a final price for such item less than zero; if application of the redemption value yields a price less than zero, the coupon will be redeemed only for the amount that yields a zero price (our customer cannot net a cash credit or payout from a coupon purchase).
2. Paper coupons must be presented at the time of the purchase transaction. We will accept only coupons issued by Safeway or the manufacturer of the relevant product. We will not accept photocopies of coupons.
3. Coupons are subject to advertised offer limitations and all other limitations and restrictions on the applicable coupon or product.
4. Coupons may not be applied against any free item received in any offer.
5. Coupons have no cash value.
6. Safeway will not accept manufacturer coupons (including, but not limited to, coupons issued through a Catalina or other in-store coupon dispenser) that display another retailer’s logo or name unless such coupon is for a specific item with the same product identifiers as the product included in our customer’s purchase transaction and is sold and available at the store.
7. We will not accept coupons unless they have an expiration date. Expired coupons will not be accepted.
8. We will not accept coupons that, in the determination of Safeway personnel, appear distorted or blurry or are altered in any way.
9. Sales taxes will be applied in accordance with the law of the applicable state, regardless of any coupon or other discount that may apply to the purchase transaction.
10. All applicable bottle and packaging deposits on the purchased and free items must be paid by the customer.
11. Safeway reserves the right to refuse any coupons at its discretion.
12. Purchase reward thresholds (if any) will be calculated based upon customer’s final price (after deducting Club Card savings and all other discounts and savings) before deductions for any manufacturer coupons. As an example (and not as an offer), if a $10 minimum purchase is required for a customer reward, a customer’s order at full retail would be $12, a Club Card discount of $1.75 applies, and a manufacturer’s coupon of $1 applies, the customer would be given credit for a $10.25 purchase, and would be eligible for the reward (assuming compliance with all other requirements) even though the customer’s cash payment would be only $9.25. The manufacturer’s coupon would not be deducted from the total for purposes of determining reward eligibility. Purchase reward thresholds (if any) will be calculated based upon customer’s final price (after deducting Club Card savings, and all other discounts)
13. References to a threshold purchase requirement will exclude purchases of: Beer, Wine, Spirits, Tobacco Products, Fuel, All Fluid Items in the Refrigerated Dairy Section (including Fluid Dairy and Dairy Substitutes), Prescription Items and Co-payments, Bus/Commuter Passes, Fishing/Hunting Licenses and Tags, Postage Stamps, Money Orders, Money Transfers, Ski Tickets, Amusement Park Tickets, Event Tickets, Lottery Tickets, Phone Cards, Gift Cards, and Gift Certificates; also excluded are: Bottle Deposits, Redemption Values, and Sales Taxes.
14. We accept internet printed coupons. The same manufacturer and store coupon rules above apply to all internet printed coupons.
15. Internet printed coupons must be capable of scanning at checkout.
16. Internet printed coupons must have serial numbers and must follow an industry-standard format.
17. Manufacturer internet printed coupons must clearly indicate that they are a manufacturer coupon and must have a valid manufacture address on the printed coupon.
18. We will not accept “free product” internet printed manufacturer coupons.
19. Internet and digital coupons that have been electronically loaded to a Safeway Club Card are automatically redeemed at the time of purchase after the club card number has been entered. All other coupon policies above apply to electronic coupons that are loaded to a club card. Internet and digital coupons electronically loaded to a Safeway Club Card are not included in any operative “double coupon” or other increase in coupon value promotion. Coupons are not accepted on online shopping orders made on Safeway.com, except Internet and digital coupons that have been electronically loaded the ‘Safeway Club Card’ being used for that order.
- from Safeway.com
Please see below for information on Colorado Safeway stores’ double coupon policy.
22. Check with your local store regarding ‘double coupon’ advertised promotions where customers will receive double the coupon face value off the regular or club card price up to the advertised limit. Not all locations offer double coupon promotions. Limitations and restrictions for double coupon promotions may change at any time. Changes will be posted in store onl
- from Safeway.com
21. Safeway does not allow a customer to redeem two or more manufacturer coupons against the same item in a single transaction.
22. Coupon stacking policies for manufacturer coupons apply to paper and electronic coupons that have been loaded to a club card.
23. If a customer presents two coupons for the same item in a single transaction, Safeway will give the highest discount for that item, subject to the terms of the applicable offer and/or coupon.
- from Safeway.com
24. Rainchecks expire ninety (90) days from the date issued and will not be accepted at any Safeway store after that time.
25. We reserve the right to limit Raincheck quantities based on product availability and advertised limits.
26. Rainchecks can be issued for up to six (6) items unless otherwise stated in the applicable advertisement.
27. Rainchecks can be issued for all items, excluding Beer, Wine, Spirits, Tobacco Products, Fuel, All Fluid Items in the Refrigerated Dairy Section (including Fluid Dairy and Dairy Substitutes), which exclusions may vary from state to state.
28. Rainchecks can be offered for store super coupon items unless otherwise specified on the coupon. Rainchecks will not be provided for items advertised as “clearance”, “while supplies last,” limited quantities,” or other designation indicating a limited supply.
- from Safeway.com
As of July 2009, all Safeway stores in Colorado double coupons up to $.50 and round up coupons $.51+ to $1.00; ie, a $.45 coupon is worth $.90 and a $.75 coupon is worth $1.00. Coupons $1 or more are redeemed at face value. No known limit to the number of coupons accepted or doubled.
The stores that double coupons do it every day. You don’t need a special “pass” to have your coupons doubled, just your Safeway card.
Overage is not typically given – if the item you are buying is $.75 and you have a coupon for $.50 off, generally that coupon will only double up to $0.75.
As of January 2012, Safeway stores in Colorado may not accept coupons that are for more than the price of the product. There is apparently a regional policy that has been put into place and they may not adjust the coupon value down, so you may not be able to use a $1/1 coupon on a product that’s on sale for $0.99. Note that some stores may choose not to enforce this, but it does seem to be relatively consistent at Colorado Safeway stores.
They do not allow two coupons on a buy-one-get-one-free sale, according to corporate on 4/15/2009. This is also printed on the back of each weekly ad.
According to the below information from the Safeway blog, you can combine a manufacturer’s coupon with a store coupon:
“You can combine a manufacture coupon with a store coupon but unfortunately, we do not accept competitor’s coupons at this time.”
You may only use one coupon on a buy one, get one free sale, as stated in the back of the Safeway weekly ad.Back To Top
Safeway periodically puts out coupons for $10 off your purchase of $50 or more. These typically state that the minimum purchase is after club card savings and store coupons. Your manufacturer’s coupons should come off after the $10 discount as long as your total with store coupons and discounts is $50.
Sales cycles run Wednesday through Tuesday with an occasional weekend or Sunday through Tuesday sale. Ads appear in the Gazette on Wednesdays or are available on their website. If there’s a Sunday through Tuesday sale, the ad appears in the Gazette on Sunday and on their website.
In addition to their regular sale prices, Safeway periodically does promotions like “buy five participating items save $5 instantly at checkout” and “buy 20 participating items get a coupon for $15 off your next shopping order”. Some of these can be great deals when combined with manufacturer’s coupons! These type of promotions are almost always limited to one per transaction.
Safeway also offers catalina (checkout) coupon promotions, which are sometimes advertised throughout the store. An example would be “buy five StarKist tuna pouches save $1 on your next order”. They also often have coupon booklets for special promotions throughout the store, particularly at the pharmacy or customer service counter.
Finally, Safeway offers a gas savings program called Power Pump Rewards. For every $100 you spend at Safeway, you receive a discount of 10¢ off your next fill-up.
These are cumulative for the month, so if you spend $300 in-store, you’ll receive a discount of 30¢ off each gallon at your next fill-up.
I can’t find any rhyme or reason for how Safeway counts your gas reward points – all I know is that I almost always earn more points than the number of dollars I actually spent. I think it somehow figures it based on your total before manufacturer’s coupons but after store discounts – but not all store discounts. It’s confusing, and if anyone know exactly how it works, please share!
Note that not all Safeways in Colorado Springs have a gas station; in fact, only a few do. Here’s the stores that do have a gas station: (7655 McLaughlin Rd (in Falcon), 1101 N Circle Drive (just off Circle and Galley), 6941 Mesa Ridge Parkway (in Fountain), and 1039 East US-24 (in Woodland Park).
You can get a discount of $.05 per bag if you bring your own (either plastic or reusable). Safeway no longer offers this credit, and inside gives you a discount of 10% off your next “green” products purchase.