Photo from Cook’s Illustrated: the best cooking magazine ever
King Soopers was decidedly quiet this morning, but it will no doubtedly become a madhouse as the week goes on. (By “week”, I mean the Wednesday through Tuesday grocery flyer sales cycle week, because isn’t that how every bargain hunter counts weeks?!)
Surely everyone’s turkeyed-out from Thanksgiving, but theoretically 37% of Americans eat turkey for Christmas while 23% eat ham. (Personally, I’d prefer a beef roast, cooked medium rare with a sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.) I did a little research on the best prices for ham at the local grocery stores this week, and below is what I found.
I checked prices at WalMart on Tuesday so it’s possible they’ve changed since then; I know they lowered their price on the Sam’s Choice ham according to the sales flyer that came in the paper today, and I’ve reflected it below.
- Sam’s Choice Spiral-Cut Half Ham $1.98/lb
- Hormel Spiral-Sliced Bone-In Ham $1.98/lb
- Smithfield Half Ham $1.43/lb
- Smithfield Smoked Ham $1.33/lb
- Cook’s Spiral Sliced Half Ham $1.49/lb
- Cook’s Shank Portion Ham $.99/lb
- Private Selection Spiral Sliced Half Ham $1.99/lb
- Hormel Cure ’81 Spiral Sliced Ham $2.49/lb
- Hormel Cure ’81 Boneless Ham $2.99/lb
- Hormel Premium Spiral Sliced Ham $1.69/lb
- Cook’s Shank Portion Ham $1.29/lb
- Hormel Cure ’81 Bonelwss Ham $3.99/lb
- Albertson’s Smoked Boneless Hickory Ham $3.99/lb
- Butcher’s Cut Whole or Shank Half Ham $.99/lb
- Butcher’s Cut Spiral Sliced Half Ham $1.47/lb
So, from what I see, if you want a “regular” unsliced ham, your best bet is to pick up the Cook’s Shank Portion Ham at King Soopers or the Butcher’s Cut Whole or Shank Half Ham at Safeway, both $.99/lb.
The best price on a spiral-sliced ham is going to be the Cook’s Spiral Sliced Half Ham at $1.49/lb at King Soopers or the Butcher’s Cut Spiral Sliced Half Ham at Safeway for $1.47/lb.
One final note on hams: you can potentially get a really great deal on the Private Selection Spiral Sliced Half Ham at King Soopers. It’s $1.99/lb, and there is an e-coupon at Shortcuts.com for $3 off any size Private Selection Ham or Turkey. I also received a booklet of King Sooper’s coupons in the mail last week and it included a coupon for $5 off any Private Selection ham, so this morning I bought one and got a total of $8 off! I got my spiral-sliced ham, originally $3.79/lb, for $1.08/lb! [If you have no clue what Shortcuts.com is, come back tomorrow and I’ll explain a little.]
Whew, that was a lot of talk about pork prices. I’ll do a separate post on the best places to buy the accompaniments for your Christmas dinner and desserts!
Don’t miss out! Get deals like this via email:
Welcome to Springs Bargains, a service of our real estate business, Circa Real Estate Group! I’m Carrie, and since 2008 I’ve been sharing free and discounted ways to eat, play, and enjoy life in Colorado Springs.