Reader Melissa gets her hair cut and colored for a steal of a deal at the Salon Professional Academy, and she graciously wrote a very detailed review to share here on SpringsBargains.com:
I heard on the radio that the average woman spends $70,000 in her lifetime on haircuts, color, styling products, and so on. That surprised me and I’m sure many of us break that norm! In fact, some of you probably cut your own hair to save a few bucks! I’m not that brave and I enjoy some salon pampering, so I had to figure out a way to make it affordable.
Almost three years ago, I stepped inside the Salon Professional Academy (4388 Austin Bluffs Parkway, next to the ARC thrift store) for the first time. Honestly, I was a bit nervous to have a student cut my hair, but the experiment has paid off over the last few years and I’ve always walked out with a great haircut. I have an appointment every 8 weeks for partial highlights and cut!
Here is a list of the available services:
Haircuts (includes shampoo and dry) ….. $10
Children’s cut (age 12 and under)….. $7
Special Occasion Style ….. $22
Color and Style ….. $25
Additional Color ….. $10
Partial Highlights (less than 30 foils) ….. $23
Highlights ….. $33
Conditioning Treatment ….. $6
Perms ….. $33
Facial ….. $25
Aromatherapy Body Wrap ….. $19
Waxing ….. $9
Full Face Wax ….. $14
Manicure ….. $9
Pedicure ….. $20
Paraffin Dip â€¦.. $5
Acrylic Full Set ….. $21
Acrylic Fill ….. $13
Touch up Make up ….. complimentary
What can You expect?
I have found the services and products to be salon quality. In fact, when the students graduate, they will be hired by top salons across the country. They use Redken products and the students perform all services under the supervision of licensed professional educators.
When you sit down for a hair cut or color, the student will talk through what you’d like done. Then he/she will bring an instructor in for a consultation. The instructor will discuss with the student and review the techniques for your particular service. You can expect the students to know and understand cutting-edge techniques and products.
Tips for a Great Experience
Over the years, I have picked up a few tips that will prove helpful to you.
- If you want a specific cut or color, clearly describe your expectations to the student. If you are like me, I let them do pretty much whatever they’d like to try!
- Allow plenty of time. The students take a lot longer than Great Clips! When you make your appointment ask how much time you should allow for the appointment. (In my experience, 3 hours for highlights and cut, 1 hour for a haircut)
- If you like the results, make your next appointment with the same student.
- It is not mandatory to tip, but the students are not compensated for their work. They appreciate the gesture!
- If you are not happy with the results, speak up. They want you to leave happy.
- When planning your budget, please understand there are various levels of students. You will pay a few dollars more for the higher levels of students, but they won’t take as long either. I believe the prices go up one dollar for each level reached. You can always ask for a price when you make the appointment. If you are wanting the least expensive salon experience, ask for a level 1 student.
Have you tried Salon Professional Academy, or any other cosmetology school here in the Springs? What was your experience like? Make sure you mention Melissa’s name if you decide to try Salon Professional Academy!
Don’t miss out! Get deals like this via email:
Welcome to Springs Bargains, a service of our real estate business, Circa Real Estate Group! I’m Carrie, and since 2008 I’ve been sharing free and discounted ways to eat, play, and enjoy life in Colorado Springs.