There’s a variety of places that do a free or cheap craft or storytime event for kids every month – be sure to check out the following places for their events that are going on each month.
Archives for July 2017
Time for another sale at Salvation Army: this Thursday, August 3rd, everything (with a few exceptions like mattresses) will be half-off. This is valid at their store in Colorado Springs and the ones in Denver, with the exception of the clearance centers.
I made Cook’s Illustrated’s Sichuan Green Beans quite a few years ago, and it’s been a family favorite ever since. Actually, that’s not true – it is now a family favorite but it was one of those recipes that I had to serve multiple times before my kids started to like it. Now they love it!
It involves a slightly spicy sauce with blackened green beans and ground pork or beef, with lots of ginger and garlic. We eat it over short grain brown rice, and I love that it’s a pretty simple meal but with lots of vegetable matter. I once told a friend who’d been to China that I didn’t really know if it was authentic or not since I’ve never had it elsewhere, but she said she thought it tasted pretty legit!
I’ve modified the recipe a bit from the original, so here’s how I fix it for my family of seven: [Read more…] about Family Favorite Recipe: Sichuan Green Beans
Enjoy Colorado’s museums, zoos, and events for free or at a discount every month! Here’s a list of the free and discount days for August 2017:
- Buell Children’s Museum: free on August 13th (more info)
- Clyfford Still Museum: free on August 25th, also every Friday from 5-8 PM (more info)
- Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center: free on August 18th (more info)
- Denver Art Museum: free on August 5th (more info)
- Denver Botanic Gardens: free on August 29th (more info)
- Denver Botanic Gardens at Chatfield: free on August 1st (more info)
- Denver Children’s Museum: free on August 1st from 4-8 PM only (more info)
- Denver Children’s Museum Joy Park: free on August 18th from 4-8 PM only (more info)
- Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls, and Toys: suggested donation ($1/person) day on August 6th (more info)
- Denver Museum of Nature of Science: free on August 6th and 28th (more info)
- Four Mile Historic Park: free on August 11th (more info)
- Molly Brown House: free on August 1st, but only for residents of select counties in the Denver area (more info)
- National Parks Service: free on August 25th(more info)
- Sangre de Cristo Arts Center: free on August 13th (more info)
Events are subject to change without notice. Please contact the event venue to confirm details before planning a visit.
Rita’s Italian Ice (7866 N. Academy) is having some great events with freebies soon!
On Monday, July 31st, they’re giving away free Italian ices to anyone who works in the healthcare field (nurses, doctors, and EMTs are the examples they gave)! This is valid for a free regular ice; must present healthcare professional ID.
On Tuesday, August 1st, kids under twelve can get a regular Italian ice for $1 with the purchase of a regular ice (up to two $1 ices for kids per regular-priced purchase). They’ll also have a special rock-painting event.
And on Tuesday, August 2nd, military can get a free Italian ice when you present your military ID!
Correction: Concerts are on Thursdays, not Saturdays as originally posted.
There will be free jazz concerts held at Log School Park at the corner of Black Forest and Shoup on select Thursdays in July and August! I saw an ad in the Black Forest newspaper and wasn’t able to find a website to link to, but here’s the schedule and as much info as I have (click to enlarge):
The East Library will hold their annual free party to celebration the summer reading program this Friday, July 28th, from 10 AM to 12 PM:
Come and celebrate a summer of reading at our Free Summer Adventure Party in George Fellows Park behind East Library from 10 a.m. to noon. There will be face painting, water slide (weather permitting), obstacle courses, vehicles of many types,super heroes, crafts, Friends Children’s Book Sale and much, much more! Happy Reading!
Today (Tuesday) is another Kid’s Day at Rita’s Italian Ice (7866 N. Academy): kids under twelve can get a regular Italian ice for $1 with the purchase of a regular ice (up to two $1 ices for kids per regular-priced purchase), and they’ll also have a balloon artist making free balloons after 5 PM only. More info here.